This is course L.079.08009
The teaching language will be English. Informal communication in German is permitted.
If you would like to take part in a seminar in Summer Semester 2022, you must register for the course "All Seminars Summer Term 2022". The course captures the registration for ALL seminars.
Further information can be found on the Website www.upb.de/cs/sem or www.upb.de/cs/semen
Zuordnungsverfahren für Projektgruppen/Seminare
Matching method for project groups/seminars
After passing this assignment procedure, you will be able to participate in this seminar.
We are going to provide several topics for this seminar. To provide quality mentoring for each student, each student will be assigned a separate supervisor.
The list of topics will be made available on PANDA course (see below for dates).
In order to participate, students should:
- Attend the first session. During this session, we will give out instructions on how to apply for each topic. We will announce the topic assignment.
- Register on PAUL for the exam of the seminar.
We provide a Panda page for this course.
The panda system will be used for:
- Providing material, e.g., slides or templates
- Handing in Assignments
You will be added to the panda course automatically after getting assigned to this seminar.
In this seminar, students will learn basic skills on how to conduct scientific research, which will be useful in their studies and further academic career (Master's thesis, project group, etc.). They will learn how to read, write, present, and give feedback on scientific publications and presentations.
This seminar will be practice-oriented. Therefore, students will be required to actively participate in the seminar. Students will be assigned hot topics in current research and will conduct simple research on their topic under a mentor's guidance.
There will be several intermediate duties, all of which are prerequisites for passing this course! A detailed plan is published below.
The proposed research topics will cover Software and Systems Engineering as well as Software and Systems Security. Students will do a literature survey on the topic, extract and compile the information, develop their opinion on the state-of-the-art, write a small article on the topic, present their research, and review their peers' submissions.
The seminar will comprise two mandatory sessions. In the remainder of the semester, students will work on their research topic independently and refer to their mentors when necessary.
This course will be held in-person in accordance with the 3G rule. Therefore, in order to participate in all events and courses at Paderborn University, you must prove your status as a vaccinated, recovered or tested person.
Attendance is mandatory for all students registered to the seminar.
The mandatory sessions are on the the following days:
- Meeting 1 (expected on April 13th): Organizational matters
- Meeting 2 (expected on July 26th and 27th): Block seminar
Detailed plan with submission deadlines (preliminary planning):
- April 15th: Announcements of the topics
- April 22nd: Topic selection
- April 26th: Topic assignment
- May 17th: Outline and Literature (submission)
- June 17th: Review version of thesis (submission)
- June 17th: Assignment of Peer-Reviews
- June 27th: Peer-Review (submission)
- July 8th: Presentation for supervisor feedback (submission)
- July 11th-15th: Supervisor Feedback
- July 25th: Final presentation (submission)
- July 26th and 27th: Block seminar
- August 27th: Final thesis (submission)
- Gather relevant literature.
- Extract and sum up relevant data from the literature.
- Express scientific, critical opinion on a research idea.
- Write a scientific article.
- Present a piece of research.
- Provide feedback on a scientific article, or a presentation.
- Be registered in the Master program at UPB.
- Be registered to the course "All Seminars Summer Term 2022" on PAUL and getting assigned to this course after the application procedure for seminars.
- Have a background in Static Code Analysis (Optional)
- Have completed DECA 1 (Optional)